234 W. Dixie Ave.
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
|Mr. Logan Dixon and Mr. James Atwood, in the 1930s|
Dixon-Atwood & Trowbridge Funeral Home had its beginnings when, in 1928, Mr. Logan T. Dixon purchased the business from Mr. Tom Crawford. The office and stock of caskets were located in building on the Public Square.
When he first opened there, Mr. Dixon’s partner was his uncle, Lee Dixon, who soon sold his interest to Mr. James W. Atwood, Logan’s father-in-law. The first funeral service was conducted for Mrs. Gracie Lee Jones, who passed away on July 21, 1928.
In 1930 the business was moved from the Public Square to 122 North Main Street. The funeral home occupied the lower floor and Mr. and Mrs. Dixon and their family lived upstairs.
In 1938 the funeral home moved from the North Main Street location to our present site. The home has had three major additions since that time.
In 1940 Mr. James W. Atwood sold his interest in the funeral home to Mr. Logan T. Dixon, who then became sole owner of the business.
Mr. Jennings D. Adkins came to the funeral home in 1936 from Corbin, Kentucky and acquired an interest in the business in 1946.
Misfortune started to come our way, Mr. James W. Atwood passed away on November 2, 1964. Then on December 23, 1968 Mr. Logan T. Dixon, founder of the funeral home also passed. This left Jennings D. Adkins sole owner of the funeral home until his death on July 5, 1973.
After both of their parents death Mr. Adkins in 1973 and Mrs. Elizabeth Adkins on April 15, 1975, Mr. Adkins daughters, Janie Adkins and Linda Adkins Mather, continued to operate the funeral home for several years.
In July of 2001 a new era in the Dixon-Atwood Funeral Home began when Robert L. Trowbridge, III acquired the funeral home and changed the name to Dixon-Atwood & Trowbridge Funeral Home in 2005.
Through the years, many people in our community have experienced loss in their family. As present owners of Dixon-Atwood & Trowbridge Funeral Home, it is our pledge to all families we serve to provide a personalized service with a dedicated staff to serve your needs in a manner in which it has been a tradition since 1928.